Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz: 1983 cadaillac eldorado. a/c compressor

Customer Question

1983 cadaillac eldorado. a/c compressor will not go on not low on freon.no power at compressor.
when i ground the thermo switch the compressor goes on and seems to cycle on and off correctly and blows cold through vents,
what can i check next?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Was the thermo switch replaced at all? Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes, no difference
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
Was the cycling or cut off switch replaced at all?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no, where is that ?is there a way to test it ?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
Here is a diagram of the electronics for the ac operation on this model here.Both of these switches need to be closed to operate the ac.If one is found open the affected switch will need replaced.https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko7sbok4zra71i9/cad-04-14.gif?dl=0Unfortunately due to the year of this model my info is limited on their locations.The cycling switch may be located in the ac evaporater and cut out switch may be on the back of the compressor. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i have the diagram, hard to read which are the switches you are speaking of ?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
Unfortunately my info does not show the location of the switches due to the year of this model here.They should be on the ac accumulator/drier and one on the back of the compressor.Both of these are a common failure for this here. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that really did not help. how do i contact another technician that would know this year and model
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.
I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 11 months ago.
Which switch are you grounding to make the compressor come on?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The thermo switch.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The thermo switch