Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

Cadillac Deville: 98 caddy deville: began by DIC saying service

Customer Question

98 caddy deville: began by DIC saying service steering, then the EBTCM pulled way too much pwr via pins D & E, and caught fire. (Note: 50A brake fuse nvr blew.) Replaced EBTCM and plug and started reconnecting the burnt wires by color.
Damn near did it, but Pins 3 (Antilock indicator) and 17 (PWM SWPS Signal) are both white. A schematic online (circuit 1765?) said Pin 17 on EBTCM should go to Pin C7 on CVRSS Control Module, but that connector pin has no wire, much less a white one. Need to know where that circuit goes, so I can figure out which white wire goes to connector Pin 3 and which one goes to connector Pin 17.
Also, Pin 10 (Serial Data – Class 2) on the EBTCM supposedly goes to Pin 58 on the PCM (circuit 1807?), except that's an empty pin, too. So, I need to know where that Pin 10 circuit goes…I’m aware Pin 26 supposedly goes to DLC (circuit 1807?), but I need to know where 10 goes, so I can make sure I have the correct purple wires on the correct connector Pins.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. Here are the diagrams I have located for this model here.If these do not match or if you need more let me know and we will continue here. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I still need something showing me where Pin 17 of the EBTCM goes. I dont wanna tear out the steering column to distinguish 3/17. As to the second pair, one of your schematics does show the EBTCM Pin 10 to PCM Pin 58, and that is right.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Pin 17 leads to the steering wheel position sensor.Pin 3 is for the anti lock brake indicator control.Here is the connector layout for your brake control module. Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here. Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pins 4, 20, and 23 go to the SWPS. If you view the circuit, you see those three connections to the SWPS with the Pin numbers at that connector. Pin 17 is the PWS SWPS Signal. My schematics says it goes to the VCRSS, pin C7(circuit 1765). If Pin 17 instead goes to the SWPS, then tell me what pin at the SWPS so I can trace the circuit. Provide the schematic. If you instead find it goes to the VCRSS, again I need the pin number…C7 isnt right. I have to trace the circuit. My first and original question still stands, where does Pin 17 specifically go? I need this done. The website gave him the impression you were online and ready to answer the question immediately. Instead this is taking days. I have to be able to trace the circuit. I know Pin 3 goes to the IPC, I don't want to tear out the steering column to get to the panel connector. I already have access to the VCRSS, so if the pin goes there I can trace it easily. Please respond ASAP.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this here myself.I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.Thanks Pete
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 months ago.
I am currently looking into this myself. Bear with me while I try to figure out where pin 17 is supposed to go, the service manual is not clear on this, but I am researching it.
Everything I have says this goes to pin 17 of the CVRSS module. It is curious why you don't have a white wire in that pin at that connector, but the circuit numbers match up.... that's simply where it's supposed to go.
A schematic showing this circuit is the problem: GM omitted it, apparently, I can't find that wire anywhere except in connector pinouts, it's not drawn in the wiring diagrams. Let me look at different years to see if I can verify it.
Yeah, ckt 1765 is simply missing from the factory service manual. I've never run across this before, it would stick in my memory if I had. The best I can do is connect the dots by looking at the connector pinouts, and that verifies ckt 1765 at pin 17 of the EBTCM, and it verifies ckt 1765 at pin C7 of the CVRSS.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Google 98 Cadillac Deville circuit 1765 and you will get the schematic, but my C7 does not have any wire in it. Update: I put it back together without connecting pin 3 or 17. The antilock light indicator stays on in instrument cluster and I have a bunch of errors I need to clear, but all these wires were melted and we had to reconnect them to a new connector. We tried to look for pairs that were twisted together to differentiate among white wires… But we were not able to do that with single connections like pin 3 and 17. I think we have them all correct I just need to determine which one of these goes to the VCRSS and there is no white wire in the C7 connector at the VCRSS. I had to leave town and will not be back until tomorrow to further troubleshoot. I was supposed to of had this done before I left which is why I was so frustrated that I did not get immediate assistance as the website advertised the mechanic as being "online now." One thing I can say for you is, you put forth effort and you did so with a sense of urgency. Nevertheless I still don't have the information I need nor any answer to my question other than the information I supplied in my question. I still need a solution and an answer. Thank you.
I see what you're talking about, that appears to be a GM schematic, I just haven't found where in the book they have buried that thing. But that confirms what we already figured out.I will spend some more time on this tomorrow, as my day is just about over, but so far, I haven't come up with any deviation from that schematic. Interesting that there is no wire in that cavity at the CVRSS. Is it possible that the wire is broken? Is there a terminal in that cavity, if you disconnect the CVRSS and look at the connector?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As I recall there is no terminal in the cavity, however when I get back to town tomorrow I will look again and even take a picture. Thank you for your time
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is the pinout I have for my VCRSS showing C7 should be the white wire. The second picture shows you C7 is empty. I sent third picture so you can that even on the other side number seven was not a white wire, but a blue wire. I still need to find the other end of the white wire from pin 17 of the EBTCM. Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As soon as I have an opportunity, I'm going to clear the codes and then see what pops up. Right now 3 and 17 are unconnected from the EBTCM.