Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

My name is ***** *****. My windshield wipers aren't working

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My windshield wipers aren't working but I can hear the motor running. It is not the fuse. Also, my key fob can't be detected and I just replaced the battery a month ago.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2010 Cadillac SRX. Wipers stopped working during rain storm. I checked the fuse and can hear the motor running when I try to turn wipers on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cadillac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 months ago.
If the wiper motor is running (you can hear it) but the wipers aren't moving, then the bell crank arm has come off or the wiper transmission is broken. Disassembly will be necessary to pinpoint it, but also to repair it, so I'd take it apart with a mind to find the broken part, and replace the part that I find broken. As for the key fob, do both fobs have the same issue?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, both fobs are doing the same thing. Both have new batteries.
OK. This is going to need professional diagnosis. It's possible that the immobilizer antenna isn't working, and if that's the case, there will be trouble codes stored in the body computer to point the technician in that direction. You've done what you can do as a DIY'er, now it's time to get a professional involved to figure out what's going on with the electronics.