Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

Cadillac: I have a 1976 cadillac eldorado , I was driving at

Customer Question

I have a 1976 cadillac eldorado , I was driving at about 60 mph when lost radio first then car shut down , still have lights but when I turn key completely dead. any suggestions ?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 6 months ago.
Fusible links need to be checked, they are located at the starter. They appear as thicker sections of wire, you can pull on them and if any of them break in two, that means it burned up and needs to be replaced. Fusible links feed different branches of the electrical system, so that's why you have some electrical devices that still work, while others don't.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
how about the ecu ?
Since the radio also quit working, I'm not inclined to say that there's anything wrong with the ECU on this. It sounds like a power distribution issue i.e. fuse or fusible link. I'd venture to say that if you get the radio fixed, you'll probably inadvertently fix the engine issue as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok .....will check it out when i get home.....thanks
Sure. I was actually poking around in an old manual and came across something that will probably help you: the location for the ECU fusible link is actually on top of the engine: 18 gauge fusible link located in dark green wire on "BAT" terminal of alternator
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
that helps thanks
Sure. Please take a moment to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I'm happy to follow up.