Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Cadillac CTS: I have 2004 Cadillac CTS and as I was driving

Customer Question

I have 2004 Cadillac CTS and as I was driving down the road my engine started making a clicking noise. This is the first time it happen. I have 133,000 miles on the car. When I stop and cut the car off and start it back up it doesn't make that noise until I get down the road again a little bit then it starts back. My check engine light do not come on. What causes that?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 6 months ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Start by checking to make sure all the spark plugs are tight. They can start to work loose and cause a leak that will sound like a ticking. Let me know how that goes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes I checked them and they all are tight. When I start it up and accelerated the motor for a little bit it did not make that clicking noise.
Do you have a stethescope or a piece of rubber hose you could use to try to pinpoint where the noise is coming from?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I don't. I was going to leave a little bit later and go around the corner and see if it will do it again.
If it does it again see if you can try to figure out what area the noise is coming from. You could also try removing the serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away.. if so its something on the belt causing the noise. If that is the case we can try spinning the pulleys on the belt with the belt off and see if any of them seem rough or are making a noise.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Sorry for the delayed answer but I will do that. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It did again this morning Mr. Crawford when I was warming up the car. The noise came from around the pulley and serpentine belt area as you said earlier to me.
Did you try removing the belt and see if the noise went away?