ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 year GM master tech

I took my 2005 cadillac sts v8 4.6l into Tunex to repair my

Customer Question

I took my 2005 cadillac sts v8 4.6l into Tunex to repair my window, change brakes, and fix an oil leak. They believed the leak was coming from the camshaft position actuator and camshaft position sensors (which were leaking oil according to the mechanic). After replacing them, they continued to get codes that wouldn't pass emissions 5 weeks of continuing to take the car into Tunex who even took my car to Cadillac to "re-flash the computer" it finally passes emissions. less than four weeks after getting it finally registered I take it on a trip to Vegas from Utah - Stopping for an hour in St. ***** *****. 70 miles outside of Vegas I hear a loud bang and my vehicle stops working. The story gets worse but the question I have is does the camshaft and sensors have anything to do with an oil leak?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It was the rear differiential and I had to have it towed back to Salt Lake City. I didn't know it was the rear differential and had been told it was possibly a transmission. Tunex doesn't work on transmissions so I take it to a transmission place and they tell me it's a bad rear differential AND a bad transmission my name is Holly
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 6 months ago.
I am real sorry your having these problemsso where you are at now is a loud bang and the engine will run but the car will not move ?and its being towed to the transmission / rear axle failure ?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We took the vehicle via tow dolly to a transmission place and they said the rear differiential and the transmission are bad. My concern are as follows: I've been told it is highly unlikely that both the rear and tranny go out at the same time. What's your knowledge on this? It appears, Tunex may have wrongly diagnosed the initial leak problem and never fixed the true problem regarding the check engine light which came back on right within a few miles after leaving their lot. The tranny place are crooks and tour down both the rear diff and the tranny. I recently had it towed to a different shop, but want some answers.
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 6 months ago.
i agree highly unlikely i mean i have seen it but that is very rare usually when that happens either the rear axle fails and locks up and when it does it will lock the transmission and break the transmissions output gears or final drive or vice versa the transmission fails and the rear axle is trying to turn and will break the spider gears offusually any sensors on the engine will only effect the engine and not the transmission or rear axle from being damagedas if they diagnosed this issue not following any transmission codes that were set when they played with the engine then yes they could have not diagnosed this issue correctlythe bot***** *****ne is now your on the hook for a transmission and rear axle failureas for if both are damaged is very hard to tell without seeing this with my own eyesthe easier one to fix first is then rear axle and have them show you the damage to itif it is damaged have them fix the rear axle then see if in fact the transmission is also damaged or badif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The initial transmission company tore both the rear diff and transmission out and dismantled both. I was not happy about this because they refused to show me any type of diagnosic testing they were suppose to do for free. So after learning about their negative history, I had it towed somewhere else.
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 6 months ago.
so that shop has now put you on the hook for a new transmission and rear axle or a rebuild of bothwith them apart you can not find out which damaged which first and or would need to be rebuilt if already apartas for proving that the shop messed up or diagnosed this issue wrong can not be proved with those things torn apart i am sorry to sayand to ask them to pay or even taking them to court with no proof now you will not winat this point have this new shop install a used transmission and rear axle from a salvage yard which comes with good warranty's as that is going to be your cheapest way out to fix this carif you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 6 months ago.
how are you making out ?if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer