mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

I just put a new battery in my 1999 Cadillac Deville. I turn

Customer Question

I just put a new battery in my 1999 Cadillac Deville. I turn the key and all the lights come
JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: On but when info to start the lights gonoff
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: Nee
JA: Anything else I can tell the Cadillac Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: New
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.
the lights normally turn of when trying to start to send full power to the starter. does the engine crank or just nothing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just nothing.
do you have the ability to access the starter to check for voltage there when you turn the key to crank?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No sir, all of the power options inside the car such as the power seats and things like that go at full speed
i imagine they would if it has a new battery but if your starter has gone bad which is likely you will have voltage at the starter signal wire when you turn the key to crank. if you dont have voltage there you have a bad ignition switch which is also common but not as much as the starter.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay how do I check the voltage
underneath the vehicle on the starter there is the main battery cable and a smaller signal wire that goes to it. you will want to unplug or disconnect the smaller wire and that is the wire you want to see 12v at when the key is turned to the crank position you will need a helping hand for this. one to turn the key and someone to watch for voltage.