Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Seat will close to within 6" and just stops. JA: The mechanics

Customer Question

Seat will close to within 6" and just stops.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Cadillac Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: I have been told it could be computer needing reset, or maybe replaced.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 8 months ago.
What year and model is your Cadillac?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Year 2004 srxY
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The mech. Showed me the (brain) electronics controller ,cost $600.00 new, rebuilt available but could not locate. I do not wont to pay that kind of price. What would be involved in removing seat? Is there any other options? May be manually.
Are you talking about the folding back seat? I'm still confused on what you're referring to.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
The seat will not fold up or down.
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 7 months ago.
Not all SRX's even had the rear seat, although I've never been asked to remove one, I'm sure it comes out. I'm not convinced you need a new seat module, that computer is pretty savvy, and it's looking at a bunch of different inputs as it's moving. I'd be looking at this with a factory scan tool, watching those inputs to see what the computer is seeing, and it will even set trouble codes to tell the tech why it stopped working. Lots of guys see a problem like this, and they just assume it needs a new computer, but most of the time, that's simply not the case. This needs a better diagnosis before I'd talk about putting a computer in it for this concern, I am just not convinced that computer failure is to blame for a seat that works 90% of the way, then stops.