rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

Cadillac srx: I have a 2007 Cadillac SRX 6 cyl. Purchased the

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Cadillac SRX 6 cyl. Purchased the car with about 75k miles and a about 85k miles notice oil residue on rear lift gate. Was then surprised by oil being 2 qts low. No drip on the driveway and no hot oil smell no noticiable smoke from the exhaust . Then at about 92k miles noticed a misfire when driving on the highway, especially when upshifting to high gear and on mild inclines. Also at this time when checking oil I noticed milk chocolate colored oil on oil fill cap suggesting water in the crankcase. On draining the oil there was a small amount, maybe a tablespoon of coolent in the oil. Suspecting blown head gasket did a compression test and leak down test since I had the tools for this. Both tests checked OK for all cylinders with pressures slightly above average. One spark plug did have more of a brown color on the tip while others were more black but not carboned. On the topside of this spark plug there was also oil pooled where the plug is screwed into the cylinder head. I have read that a intake manifold gasket problem could also cause these symptoms. Wondered if there was anything unique to this engine that could cause the problem before a do a teardown or any other diagnostics I could do.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 months ago.
Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confidentwe can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skilllevel. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies toget to satisfactory results. Please be patient!I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” inreturn. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If thereis any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so Ican go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help youthrough it. You will have to at least pull the intake at this point seeing that your test results were not validating a head gasket. Sounds like you're knowledgeable and can do this job. Let me know if you need any more help.Thanks, Ron