mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco

Cadillac cts: I cannot start my car. Its a pk3 system and im

Customer Question

I cannot start my car. Its a pk3 system and im not sure if its the key or the ecm. It will not start bypassing starter relay. It just cranks. Initially, i did remove negative cable and waited, put cable this time the battery read below 12v so i jumped it and it started. But a little rough..still couldnt get it into gear though and now nothing.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Can I start by getting your VIN, the codes in the computer and could you check to see if there are any anti theft or security lights on or flashing on the dash with the key on or when trying to start the engine? Thank you!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Vin is 1G6DM57N330160207. Initally the little lock icon came on. The gas gage would stay at 0. The shifter was also locked and the SERVICE ANTI THEFT SYETEM would come on the display. It would start but you could not shift into gear. The TC light was also on and it stayed on. I do not have a diagnostic tool so I cannot tell you any codes.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My key is a bit worn but I am unable to figure out how it worked fine and now it wont even crank.
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for that information. Let me do some digging and post back shortly. Thank you very much
Expert:  Amedee replied 6 months ago.
Hello! Something came up so I am going to have to log off line for a bit. I will leave this open for other experts. Good luck!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
who will be answeing this question?
Expert:  mike switzer replied 6 months ago.
hello my name is ***** ***** will help you with this do you have about a half hour to work with me? it takes this long to reprogram the security system on this vehicle.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didnt see any response till now. I went to dealer and got new key. Followed the instructions and it did reset to this key but starter is still disabled. I know the reset worked because the security light no longer stays on when you turn the key to on. I also do not get a nessage stating to remove the key. Battery has over 12 v so i know thats not it. The key still is locked in unless i do the manual and get it out. No crank no sound. Nada.
the key is locked in the ignition? is that what you are saying?
if so you will want to make sure your shift lever is completely in park and if your shift handle has a button for the release on it you will want to ensure it is coming out the full amount. this will cause the key to not want to come out. and if you shift lever is not going completely in park you will not crank of course. have you tried starting your car in nuetral? that will let you know whether or not you have a start issue or a transmission range sensor issue.