Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac Deville: My 1995 Cadillac deville with 4.9L engine

Customer Question

My 1995 Cadillac deville with 4.9L engine digital dash is flash "E" on fuel gauge . Headlights do not work automatically anymore since flashing E. When I turn the on a nagging ding ding ding sound stay on until I turn headlights off again. Do I need to reset I trumpet cluster?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 8 months ago.
I do have a bit of info on this. I would start by checking all fuses, in particular fuse A3 in the underhood fuse block... I don't know what this fuse is called from where I'm sitting right now (I am not at the office) but I do know that if this fuse opens, it causes the fuel gauge to read E and also causes the twilight sentinal to stop working, among other things. The root cause is a shorted wire near the starter, that causes the fuse to blow, and that causes all these things to happen, so checking all fuses with a test light would be the way to do it. I take a test light and just touch the tops of all the fuses on both sides, each fuse should have power on it at both terminals. Any fuse that only has power on one side needs to be replaced. Do this, and come back to me and let me know if you found anything interesting. If so, I'll guide you to where this wire commonly shorts out.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok, I'll check tomorrow. I just checked email.
No problem, just let me know if you need anything else.