Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Had to replace battery on sts 2011 and trying to program FOBs

Customer Question

JA: There are so many things that can cause battery issues. Some simple, some complicated. The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Will the car start?
Customer: Used instructions and the remotes will start the car when in the slot but no remoteless functions work
JA: Got it. The mechanic will have thoughts on how you two can troubleshoot and diagnose this issue. How old is the battery?
Customer: I replace battery in car and in remotes
JA: Anything else I can tell the Cadillac Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: used instructions and seemed to go as instructed
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Daniel Jones replied 8 months ago.
Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.I'm ***** *****. I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.Can you give me your VIN# ***** I get the proper information for your vehicle? Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You***** *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1g6dw6ed6b0120728
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The part that gets me is that I can put the fob in the slot after programing and the car starts. but no remote functions work.
How many remote's do you have?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
2 fobs ... and replace batteries as they are the orginial fobs
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
have tested batteries in other devices and they work fine
Did you try separating FOB's by keeping one far away from vehicle and seeing if they work? Sometimes if you have both FOB's in near the car at the same time it can cause problems.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
just tried and no luck .... I was double checking fob batteries so the other fob doesn't have a battery
Was everything working before the battery was replaced?Attached is the Programming Procedure, use Method 2.
Do any of the functions work?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I put the battery back in the fob and same results. ... The battery in the car was replaced.
Try the Procedure and let me know what happens. If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.If you are satisfied with the information I supplied we would like to close out this question.If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!Thank you for posting your question.Your business is very valuable to us.Thank You ***** *****
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I had done the method 2 and that is when putting the fob in the slot would start the car. does it really matter in the programing of the FOB that is marked 1 ?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
should the key be back in the fob when in the slot
So the car only starts when the FOB is in the slot?It doesn't matter if key is in fob.