Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

Having a hard time getting the water pump out of an 03 Cadillac

Customer Question

Having a hard time getting the water pump out of an 03 Cadillac deville and I have the water pump socket
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Replacing water pump
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cadillac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also I know to turn it counterclockwise to take it off however I just looked in side and it looks like a part on the water pump is stripped and I'm assuming that's why the socket won't lock in like it should
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay. On the special water pump tool do the teeth look to be worn at all?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No they seem to be in fair condition
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Does it insert into the housing to lock onto the tabs of the water pump or are the water pump tabs worn down?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It seems to lock on however it keeps slipping
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
O.k.,yeah this is common on this pump it's a pain. Try a second person pushing on the tool to keep it in place and then try turning it to remove the pump.In some cases hard hits to the ratchet or component attached to the tool to jar it loose will hep while someone is trying to hold it in place.The other thing is I have had to and see where the pump itself had to be broken apart to then access the retainer locked in the housing to use the tool and is much easier to then remove it.This pump is a pain to remove for sure and usually one of these ways will help remove it. If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok so the tabs on the water hose are stripped
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 6 months ago.
Yeah this happens as the tool slips.You are at the point where you may have to break up the pump to then access the tangs and retainer to either use the tool then or I have some times used a screw driver and hammer to tap it loose and around to remove it.Unfortunately this is a pain but when they strip this is pretty much where you are at. Thanks Pete