Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2005 cadillac cts 2.8L. Will turn over but won't start.

Customer Question

2005 cadillac cts 2.8L. Will turn over but won't start. Checked all fuses and relays in all 3 fuses boxes, checked fuel pump and filter, still have 55psi. Checked crankshaft positions sensor. And checked for spark. The batterie is fully charged and oil and coolant are prefect. I'm at a loss if anyone can help thanks.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

If vehicle has spark and fuel pressure next thing to check would be compression. These engines are known for timing chain problems, if chain jumped it will cause low compression. Compression should be at least 140 psi. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok so I just pulled a plug and it looked horrible so I changed out all 6 plugs and did and compression test the tests showed 100 psi. After changing the plugs I can get the car to start to idel for a few seconds then it quits again
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Unplug the mass airflow sensor let me know if that helps. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No change with mass airflow unplugged.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Does it run if you spray starting fluid into intake?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
What kind of starting fluid should I use? Anything specific. Would 100 psi of compression be able to start the car?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

100 psi is definitely low and any type of starting fluid works. If spark is good but it doesn't run on starting fluid then I suspect a timing chain issue. 100 psi is borderline starting.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I agree in definitely ready to stay it's a timing chain issue. Are you able to point me in the directions of a teardown procedure for the timing chain. Thanks so much for your help.
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

What is your vin number? I'll upload repair procedure for you. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1G6DM56T250200795
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

I'll just give you login information for a online database, there are many pages of documents so this is easiest. Here is the information, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/khf38rb6zmhv78a/login.pdf?dl=0