Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Need help on a 2000 Cadillac Catera 3.0L, rear wheel. Mil

Customer Question

Need help on a 2000 Cadillac Catera 3.0L , rear wheel. Mil light staying on. U2108 code. Sent EBTCM off and had it rebuilt, replaced multifunction relay, put a TCM off a used car on it.....in the reverse order. I can't get the light to go out for more than 30sec. Thanks
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

This code pretty much always means the EBTCM has failed, it is a common problem. I think rebuild was probably not done correctly, I would recommend getting a used EBTCM off a different vehicle. You can look on ebay and www.car-parts.com for a used module. You can verify it has good power/ground Key on, test the EBTCM power/grounds, using a head lamp as a load. The power feeds are pins: 17, 18 Red wires and 15, Black/Red wire. The grounds are pins: 16, 19 Black wires. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
you are saying to verify that I have power on those pins with a 12v test light? If I do have power and ground then its most likely the EBTCM? The company that rebuilt it warranties their work as well? One other thing, I was told as far as swapping out modules that they had to be programmed to that vehicle.....is that correct?
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Correct, if those pins are good then that can only leave the EBTCM as problem. It is up to you if you want to see if company is able to fix EBTCM again, I just worry they won't and it will be more time wasted. You are correct, a new/used EBTCM will need to be reprogrammed which will cost around $60 to have done at dealer. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok....before I go out and start working on EBTCM, I have a question. The first thing I did was replace the TCM with a used one, then the multifunction relay, then the EBTCM....what do you think about putting the original TCM back in it or do you think I would be wasting my time swapping back? thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

The TCM should't cause this problem to begin with so I don't think it matters either way what TCM you are using. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok....I checked the pins and everything seems ok there. I contacted MyAirbag and they said to send back and they would go through it again. I explained the code and the situation to them. Hopefully it will work. Anything else that would cause that fault? thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 8 months ago.

Poor connection or wiring problem on data wire could cause it but EBTCM is problem 99% of the time. Here is information on code from manual.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7dvo2alwuehlisv/2108.pdf?dl=0