Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX that I bought with a bad

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX that I bought with a bad transmission. I had a used one installed and I drove the car home. It sat for a couple months while it was cold out and now that it's warmer I changed the oil and used full synthetic. Here is a video of it running it drives good down the street but there is that taking at all times what could that be and how do I get rid of it? Here are the codes coming up. U1040, U1300, P0300, P0303, P0017, P0318, P1629
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Try clearing out all fault codes then operate the vehicle and see which codes come back again.Some of these codes may be old history codes that were never cleared out when the transmission was replaced or from sitting.If you can do this then post back here which codes are coming up again this will help.If this was already done and these are the codes that are coming up again let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they were already reset these are the new codes
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Was it parked in an area where rodents may have been present at all to possibly chew up any wiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean it was parked outside so i guess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Re read, my original post typed wrong. I meant to say ticking. I have a 2004 Cadillac SRX that I bought with a bad transmission. I had a used one installed and I drove the car home. It sat for a couple months while it was cold out and now that it's warmer I changed the oil and used full synthetic. Here is a video of it running it drives good down the street but there is a ticking at all times what could that be and how do I get rid of it? Here are the codes coming up. U1040, U1300, P0300, P0303, P0017, P0318, P1629
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Inspect under the hood in the engine bay at the engine wiring harness on top of the engine and sides as well as leading to any under hood fuse panel and see if you see any nests or chewed up or damaged wiring.I have seen when a vehicle sits for a period of time where a rodent can chew up this wiring.I see this quite a bit.

If the engine isnt running rough at all but you have a ticking noise most common I have seen cause this here is valve lifters at fault needing replaced.I have seen these cause this tick before as they become weak over time needing replaced.This would need to be checked into further in some cases with th engine taken apart to fully inspect to be sure it is the lifters needing replaced here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How difficult would it be to replace the lifters?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Does this have the V6 or V8 engine?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize I see it is the V6

Let me check real quick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
V6
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The cost is around $300 for the lifters and 6 hours labor to have them replaced.These are actual lash adjuster lifters and the cam shafts need removed to replace them.This will involve some special tools to lock in the timing components to replace these here and is usually best done by a shop or dealer that has these tools to lock in the timing components to then remove the cam shafts to replace them.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it bad to drive the vehicle like this for a couple weeks until I get paid
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No,if it doesnt get any worse and if it runs o.k. you should be o.k. for now until you can have it repaired but I would have it checked into as soon as you can and repaired.If it gets noisier or starts to run poor then I would shut it off and have it checked into.

Thanks Pete