Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Service transmission engine light is on, Drives fine code is

Customer Question

Service transmission engine light is on
JA: It's good that it's giving you information about the problem. The Cadillac Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Drives fine code is speed sensor
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes the lite goes off an came back on
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: Also got brakes today and they blew master cylinder so after they put a new one on an bled brakes brake lite on an says switch. How do you remove lite
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  mike switzer replied 8 months ago.

hi good evening what is the code exactly.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
P1707
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just brake light on
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Want to cancel
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 8 months ago.

You don't need help anymore?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I do I just don't want to pay more than 26 one time. Not every month
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
You gave me no answers
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

I understand. I can address this with customer service and make sure this is a one time only charge.

What year and model is your Cadillac? Let's see if we can work out the mechanical problems while customer service fixes your account.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
1996

P1707 isn't a valid code. Are you sure it wasn't P0717 instead?

And, you also have a brake light on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Probably
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that too
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just forget it is don't need help cancel ,make sure you do not charge me anything. You guys gave no answers.

I'm sorry, I put in your request to cancel the subscription, and it locked me out of responding back to you. I am happy to help you further to pinpoint what's going on with your Cadillac, looks like we got the technical glitch on the site worked out.

P0717 was pretty common on 96 and 97 Cadillacs. It relates to the input speed sensor in the transmission. This sensor is buried inside the transmission, you have to remove the trans and disassemble it to replace this sensor. GM had quality issues with those sensors in 96 and 97, in the years after that, I don't think I ever replaced another one, but we did a lot of them in those two years.

That is unrelated to any brake system issues, do you have a red brake light lit up on the dash? Any messages about the brake system or anything like that?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the brakes as he changed the master cylinder and the brake pads and rotors blood everything and now the brake lights on

OK, so the red brake light is only on since the brake work was done? It wasn't on before?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Was no lite

Red brake light comes on due to park brake application, most often. Check to make sure park brake release works (it's automatic release, but they do fail on occasion and leave the park brake applied). Otherwise, this light is commanded on by the ABS system, so some diagnostics would be necessary to find out why it's on.

I suspect that your park brake is partially applied. To test this, remove the wire from the park brake switch, and see if the light goes out.