Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS with a NorthStar engine. While

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,
I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS with a NorthStar engine. While driving I noticed my voltage dropping on my dashboard display. The car then cut off and wouldn't take a jump. I bought a new battery and when I installed it I started getting what seemed like smoking wires from under the hood near the area of the alternator but I couldn't see from exactly where. I immediately disconnected the new battery. I did purchase a new alternator but need to know if there is an easy way to replace it without having to remove the ac condenser and radiator due to limited accessibility. I am thinking that the alternator wire may be shorting out and also need to be replaced. Any suggestions?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** dont have to remove the condensor, but the radiator does have to come out, but it is easy, just remove the fan assembly and the radiator hoses, and unbolt it from the top, and it goes straight up and out, is the radiator still in it?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the radiator is still in. Do you think that the positive alternator wire could be shorting and also need replacing?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

it is possible, when the alternator is off, remove the positive battery terminal and check it with an ohm meter for ground, if it is not grounded, then its going to be a bad alternator,Tim

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok that's so much I will do just that while keeping my finger crossed and praying.
Again thank you so much for your help
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 8 months ago.

Anytime my friend, please dont forget to rate me so I can get credit for helping,Thanks,Tim