Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

Keithon garlan I have a 2000 caddilac deville and trouble

Customer Question

Keithon garlan I have a 2000 caddilac deville and trouble code 741 is popping up
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The car is running excellent it's just my check engine light comes on
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cadillac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 7 months ago.

Very common failure on these Cadillacs, and the fix is the same every time.

P0741 is caused by two small seals in the transmission that leak pressure when the torque converter clutch applies. This leak keeps the TCC from being applied all the way, resulting in a slipping TCC and this trouble code.

Transmission removal and disassembly is necessary to repair this. Because of the amount of work involved, I recommend to my customers that they replace the torque converter as well, because it's right there and simple to replace when you're repairing these seals. The whole job consists of those two specific seals, the torque converter, and the necessary gaskets and seals related to pulling the channel plate apart. In terms of dollars, I think the last one I did was about $2500.

Did you get this worked out? Wanted to follow up and make sure you got what you needed from me.

Please remember to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated.