tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  own's repair shop 25yrs
14541291

2004 escalade...just drove 400 miles and have to drive back

Customer Question

2004 escalade...just drove 400 miles and have to drive back tomorrow. Went to park the vehicle at the hotel and got the check engine light, stability disabled and reduced engine power. If I turn it on and off a bunch the stability disabled and reduced engine power messages go away but after I drive for 2 minutes they come back on. Any way to clear a code without any tools? Will that help?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  tim's auto repair replied 8 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

the codes keep coming back because you have a problem..

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks. Any ideas?

the problem must be fixed to stop the codes from returning.

from the way you explain the problem,it sounds as if you may need to clean the throttle body

these throttle bodies will get dirty with black soot and cause this problem

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How easy is that to get to?

after cleaning the throttle body,then you need to clear the codes with an obd 2 scanner..if you dont have a scanner,auto zone and most parts stores will do this for free

the throttle body is easy to clean,,just remove the intake air ductfrom the throttle body and clean it with carb cleaner

thanks

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any picture or videos on how to clean the throttle body? I am at a hotel with no tools 400 miles from home....willing to try anything if I can get to it easily enough....

well..i can upload the throotle body that may help you understand what to do

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hoping there is some way I can disassemble in the parking lot and clean it well enough to get to an Auto Zone.

stand by

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e328g0hj0rb522a/0319-cadilac-THROTTLE%20BODY%20CLEANING%20PROCEDURE.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/e328g0hj0rb522a/0319-cadilac-THROTTLE%20BODY%20CLEANING%20PROCEDURE.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am going to have to get someone to take me to go get some tools. Any idea what is required tool-wise in addition to rags and carburetor cleaner?

you should only need a screw driver to remove the intake air duct resinator

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK thank you. Why does the stability control system disable itself also?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any ideas?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I still need to know why the stability control is disabled? Any idea?

hi

sorry i missed you

the stability control may be coming on because the computer may need to be upgraded with the newer software,,you will need to have your dealer do this and it takes about a half hour

thanks

Bulletin No.: 04-08-49-006C Date: January 05, 2005 TECHNICAL Subject: Service Stability Message Displayed, DTC C0550 Set (Reprogram EBCM) Models: 2004-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT 2004-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe 2004-2005 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to correct the Subject line. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-08-49-006B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories). Condition Some customers may comment that while driving downhill and making a turn, the Service Stability message will display in the Driver Information Center (DIC). This will occur prior to ABS activation and once stopped, the message will go off. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTC C0550 stored in history. Cause The cause of this condition may be that the "Long Accel Gain" parameters in the EBCM are sensitive to certain driving conditions. Correction Technicians are to reprogram the EBCM with an updated software calibration. This new service calibration was released with TIS satellite data update version 9.5 available September 20, 2004. As always, make sure your TECH 2(R) is updated with the latest software version.