Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

On 2004 Cadillac DEVILLE, cruise control appears to work

Customer Question

On 2004 Cadillac DEVILLE, cruise control appears to work according to dashboard display, but car immediately begins to decelerate.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This can be due to an internal electrical fault with a vehicle speed sensor sending an incorrect signal.I have seen this occur before with the speed sensor and had to replace it.Usually there are other issues as well if it is a speed sensor like the speedometer reading incorrectly or incorrect transmission shifting.If none of these issues occur here with this fault then this may not be the vehicle speed sensor needing replaced.

One other common component that will cause this is the cruise control module itself.I have seen this act up internally causing the speed to drop or operate the cruise like this here.This module is located under the hood near the brake fluid reservoir as shown here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j1f8t2exwo6zk1/cc-03-16.gif?dl=0

This will need checked/tested further to be sure this is the cause and requires that the fault codes are checked using a scan tool that is fully compatible with your model here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete