FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

I have a 1996 cadillac deville. I have replaced the TPS, and

Customer Question

I have a 1996 cadillac deville. I have replaced the TPS, and IAC . I've checked all over for vaccum leak none found. Car has high idle at times. And when I start it and go somewhere and when I get back into the car it won't start have to crank a few times for it to start. Any ideas?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you for the question. Can you tell me if you get a check engine light at all when this occurs?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No check engine light

Thank you. One more question. When it does not start does the engine crank over fine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it cranks over great

Thank you. 99% of the time this is caused by a bad crank position sensor. This is a very common issue on this engine. There are some other common issues, but this is by far the most common. It typically does not set a code. The best way to identify this as the issue is to see if there is a crank signal on a scan tool when the vehicle will not start. If not then replace the sensor. If you cannot run this test I would just replace the sensor.