Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

1998 Cadillac Deville. It has an intermediate no crank. When

Customer Question

1998 Cadillac Deville. It has an intermediate no crank. When it will not crank. It says the vehicle may not start. The main thing I notice that is not right. The gear indicator for PNRD321 has a square around which gear you are in. However when it says vehicle may not start. There is a square around all gears and they are flushing. I also have a P0603 (PCM Keep Alive Memory Error/Reset.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The code set here can occur when low voltage occurs,the battery is disconnected and reconnected or if the battery is replaced or computer unplugged and plugged back in.I would clear out the code here and if it comes back then the internal battery in the engine computer is dead and the computer needs replaced.

The message you see is due to the theft system engaging.What happens is the small wires at the back of the key ignition cylinder (the cylinder the key inserts into to start the engine) breaks off or starts to break off.Then the key data from the chip in the key is not being sent to the control module to allow starting.This causes an intermittent no crank issue.

Usually what has to be done is the ignition key cylinder will need replaced and in some cases new keys to match the new cylinder.I have had to do this several times before in the past for this fault you see here.This can sometimes cause other lights to flash or come on as well.

I suspect your ignition key cylinder needs replaced to correct this here and if the keep alive code continues to come back after it is cleared out then the engine computer (PCM) needs replaced and programmed.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already replaced the lock cylinder for my customer. This issues have come about after I have replaced the lock cylinder.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Did you have to replace the key as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Was it the correct code/chip key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
new key with key code.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If this only occurred after the cylinder was replaced and you used the correct key this may be an issue with a defective cylinder that was installed.I have seen in some cases before where the cylinder can be damaged internally and cause this fault here.Make sure all wiring is in tact in the steering column and that nothing was damaged.If this is all found to be o.k. I suspect the replacement cylinder may be at fault here needing replaced again.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disagree that the lock cylinder is the issue. I have never seen a bad lock cylinder cause the issue with the shift indicator. I feel this is more of the issue. However I'm not sure what is causing it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If you shift to neutral will it start then and does the indicator quit blinking?

This can be an issue with the transmission position sensor/neutral safety switch as this can cause this to blink as well.I went with the ignition cylinder at first as this is most common but the transmission switch can cause this here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't recall moving it to neutral to see if it would start or stop blinking. The next time it does that I will check that and see.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I would check and see.If the transmission neutral safety switch park switch is at fault this will cause this here.It is located on top of the transmission where the shifter cable attaches to as shown below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrm47tvzmncmfys/tf-03-14.gif?dl=0

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

In some cases you can tap on it to see if the gear indicator then shows the correct position and if it does then it would need replaced.You can also try and bypass it in some cases to see if it starts then but the computer may still cause a no crank if it sees a fault with this switch.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I will keep you updated.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Thanks Pete