Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott,
Experience:  technician at Demarois Buick Gmc
77508644

Day before yesterday (3/8/16) the battery in my 2008 CTS

Customer Question

Day before yesterday (3/8/16) the battery in my 2008 CTS Cadillac was dead when I tried to start my car even though the battery was only 1 year and 10 months old. I called Triple A and the technician replaced the battery, however after replacing the battery my dash board no longer lights up and there now seems to be an issue with my air conditioner/heater. My gas gauge is now permanently on zero, so I have no idea how much gas I have in my car, the speedometer is also on zero, so I no longer know how fast I am going and the odometer/compass no longer works so I have no idea what my mileage is anymore or what direction I'm going. Also my CD player stopped about 3 months ago and when I had a technician look at it they said the CD player was trying to load, but couldn't. I did not fix it because of the cost involved. Do you think this could have contributed to this relatively new battery dying before it's time or the other problems I described.
Can you give me an idea of what the problem might be, and how much it might cost for me to repair it.
I thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.
Jamie
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 9 months ago.

Sorry to hear about this. There is a few ways this can go but If the vehicle has continued to start fine you are probably in pretty good shape. When your battery failed initially it will have triggered u-codes in every module of the vehicle. It may have also caused circuit performance p-codes for some devices. The first step would be to simply clear all of the codes and see what if anything remains inoperative. A caddy dealer would be the best as they can clear all modules. As far as the radio it is possible it contributed or is causing these problems. The radio communicates on low speed gm lan and sometimes the failure of one device ie. The radio, can pull down other devices on the network like the instrument cluster. But the first step will be to see if everything is communicating and if so to clear out the communication codes from the dead battery and see if any of the other faults can be duplicated. Once again a GM dealer can do this the best but if you or a local mechanic are going to try let me know and I'll guide you the best I can.

Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 8 months ago.

How's the battle?