Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

I have a 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV with 180,000 miles.

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV with 180,000 miles. While driving every now and then there is a fluttering irritating noise coming from under the hood. Every blue moon either my muffler or something pops. My only 2 current issues
JA: My old Jeep sounds like a steam radiator sometimes. It must be old age. The GM Mechanic will know what your noise means and what to do about it. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: That's really all I have. I took my car in to the dealership for an oil change and they told me I had an oil leak and that i should havenoticed some oil on my driveway. There was never an oil leak on the ground. But when I took my car home an oil leak appeared. I took it back and let them fixed the leaks they said they found but they didn't fix the leak that I saw. I took it back and told them they didn't fix it. They told me that the leak I saw was not the original leak they saw but it was the only leak I saw. I took pictures of my driveway before they fixed my car for the first oil leak and after they supposedly fixed my car. So it shows the oil leak. They fixed the oil leak but then told me that radiator fluid was found on the ground overnight and to watch it. I told them I never had a problem with my heat nor any leaks and I have pictures of no leaks of radiator fluid. I took my SUV home and there was major leak of orange radiator fluid. I had a local mechanic fix and change the radiator. There was a small hole then it cracked from there.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Nope I don' want to be taken advantage of anymore by the dealership because its odd to go in with no issues then come out with several
JA: OK! The GM Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: No I'm just concerned about the fluttering noise and the occasional pop from the passenger rear side of the SUV. If the irritating fluttering noise is due to old age ok but I don't think so because it wasn't there until after the dealership had it in their shop
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the fluttering noise occuring at idle or in park or neutral when revving up the engine?

Does the fluttering noise only occur when driving?

Is the pop noise coming from under the vehicle possibly the exhaust area?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.