Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

We have a 1999 Cadillac Deville. We have had some problems

Customer Question

We have a 1999 Cadillac Deville. We have had some problems with the ignition. When we try to start it a lot of times it does nothing. Today it won't start at all. There is a sound being made past the air filter in a small motor. It has a clip plug that goes into this little motor(?) and 2 screws that hold it onto a larger part. At any rate, that is the only noise being made at all when the key is turned on. Normally we can remove the key, push the key in, take the car out of gear and then back into gear and it will suddenly start. Today was the first day, after may attempts, that it just wouldn't start.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here, so it won't even crank correct? The starter motor does not spin the engine when you turn the ignition key to the START position correct? have you tried putting the transmission in neutral and seeing if it would crank in neutral? Let us know, thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tried all those things. No crank. Turn the key and it's as if there is no battery other than the lights all work, radio, antenna, dinging when door is open etc. This non-start thing has gone on for awhile - sporadically.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a 12 volt test light or volt meter by chance? and is this something you want to try to diagnose and fix yourself? or are you looking for possible causes and estimates for repair? thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i would like †o fix it myself. I have a test light but the car is in a parking lot miles from here right now.
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

I follow you, Here is a wiring diagram you can look at. you want to see if YELLOW out of the ignition switch is hot in START position, if it is, hook your test light to PURPLE at the starter solenoid at the starter motor. see if it is hot in START position. That is what I would do first. Could just be the starter motor itself. try tapping on it with a hammer if somebody holds it in START position. when you smack it with hammer and it fires off then, you'll know the starter motor has failing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what is the little motor making a noise on the engine side of the air filter?
Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

that's the idle valve I think, wouldn't keep it from cranking in my opinion.

Expert:  Edward replied 9 months ago.

Hello!, any luck checking that purple wire on the starter motor to see if it was hot in START position?