Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have a 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS that I just replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Cadillac Deville DTS that I just replaced the TCC Solenoid under the side pan recently. After replacing I drove the car around fine with no issues. The next day I went to move the car and now the transmission will not shift or engage. The shifter cable is connected and moving fine. Is it possible the shift solenoid now went bad as well? Or my torque converter? I'm just trying to figure out how it can work totally fine and the next day not shift into any gear without any symptoms.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 9 months ago.

I want to say that a failed solenoid won't cause the vehicle to not move. That is basically true, but one thing that I considered is whether you didn't have the solenoid in all the way. I've never made that mistake, so I can't say from experience what would happen, but it seems plausible that if the solenoid popped out, all of the fluid pressure could be rapidly leaking out of that port on the valve body, which would prevent clutch engagement and therefore, no movement from transmission.

I am leaning on that, because that's where you were working. There is nothing else outside the transmission that can prevent transmission movement, whatever is wrong, it's inside the trans, not outside (it's not wiring, computer, anything like that).

If the solenoid is where it belongs and OK, it's also possible that some debris remained in there from doing the job, it got caught up in the gears of the pump, and broke the pump drive shaft. I've done that before, and when the pump drive shaft breaks, the transmission simply quits working. These are the two things I'd be looking at. Both require removal of the side cover, but it seems you already know how to do that. That's where you need to go looking.