sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Car won't start start 2012 srx making a clicking noise, i

Customer Question

car won't start start 2012 srx making a clicking noise
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Cadillac. The Cadillac Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
JA: Cars do make very odd noises -- They help the mechanics figure out what's wrong. They are terrific with my old Grand Cherokee. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i just want to get it started right now; the clicking is under the hood
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Cadillac Mechanic should know about your Cadillac?
Customer: lights work
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

is it clicking like the battery is low ?

is it the starting making the clicking noise ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No will not start
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're hearing a clicking when attempting to start but the engine doesn't crank then the problem is most likely either the starter or a low battery. If you hear a single click from the engine compartment then the most likely cause would be the starter itself, a rapid clicking is most likely a low battery.

If you're hearing a rapid clicking and battery connections are clean and tight then the first thing I would recommend is a jump start if possible. Jumping doesn't always work for a variety of reasons, if jumping doesn't help then swapping in a known good battery or having the battery load tested would be the next step.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had it jumped, and it has started ever since. Just perplexed about why it happened. No previous issues.

If it started with a jump start then you either have a bad battery, something was left turned on and ran the battery down, or you have a draw. The battery should be tested, if ok then an ignition off draw test can be done to see if there is a component drawing currently while the vehicle is at rest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will do that

You're welcome!