sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

When I turned the ignition off last night I noticed some of

Customer Question

When I turned the ignition off last night I noticed some of my dash lights stayed on and if I turn the head lights on the dash turns off. But their is still power on which ran my battery dead. And I can hear a blower fan turn back on when their is no key in ignition. The power will not go off.
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Cadillac Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Cadillac Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I have before. It depends on what it is.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well I have checked fuses and pulled out the sentinel light switch and it works. It is just when I turn the car off and take out the key from ignition I still have power
JA: Is there anything else the Cadillac Mechanic should be aware of about your Cadillac?
Customer: Ya it's a 1995 Cadillac Seville SLS I see on line other people have had similar problems.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Also when you turn key on it service ride control and traction control disabled .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It says service ride control and that The traction control is been disabled . I thought I'd clarify that up .
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If items are staying powered up with the key off then there is a good chance you have a bad ignition switch.

With the key off does the instrument cluster still appear the way it would if the key was on?
Do any other items work with the key off such as the radio, turn signals, and blower motor?

Did the problem start after a repair was done, an accident, jump start, etc?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's just started doing it a couple nights ago, no accidents or repairs. Yes radio stays on and same with The lights above the Sentinel switch and the bot***** *****ghts on the dash stay on. And you can hear the blower motor trying to kick on for the heater.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The windows also roll up and down when the keys out

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I don't have one

Have you tried swapping the RAP relay with another?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, where is this located? Is it by the main fuses on right side when facing the car?

It's in the box in the right rear of the trunk.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is it a little grey looking box

It's in the box in the trunk with approximately eighteen positions.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry, I guess I'm confused?? I don't see anything with 18 positions, there is a grey metal box on right side of trunk behind the automatic trunk opener . And I it's looked complicated to open up. And on the ride side their is the fuses. So if this is something easier to get to, looking at the wrong thing.

There is a relay center in the right side of the trunk with eighteen positions shown. The fuse box in the trunk is on the left side.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry left side is fuse box, long night!! Is the relay box on the right about the same height as the fuse box on the left
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How did get it out
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do you get it out

The relay box is near the bottom of the trunk. You aren't removing the box, just removing the RAP relay and swapping it with another.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh I must be looking in the wrong place let me pull some more stuff out

Ok.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is all I see on the right side of the trunk .

It will be lower.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well I'm just going to take it into the shop, Its starting to rain and im just frustrated! I tore everything out of trunk and I dont see this damn elusive box, all I see is the spare tire . I appreciate you trying to help!

If it wasn't the relay itself then it would take electrical testing to determine exactly what is going on.

You're welcome and good luck with your car!