Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have a 2001 Cadillac Seville the other day I was driving

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Cadillac Seville the other day I was driving in cruise control by spirometer went to 0 and the car wouldn't shift out of first I change the vehicle speed sensor I change the dash I change the integrity - system and still won't shift out of first
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 9 months ago.

If the transmission won't shift when this occurs, then it's one of three things: PCM, VSS, or the wiring in between the two. You've replaced the PCM and the VSS. I would replace the wiring from the sensor to the PCM. This wiring snakes into some hard to reach places around the engine, I would simply make a new harness and route it conveniently instead of trying to put it where the original wiring goes.

This won't be caused by anything "north" of the PCM, because the PCM is what controls the transmission. The signal flow is VSS to PCM, PCM controls the transmission, then also has an output signal for the cruise, cluster, ABS, etc. If the transmission continued to shift properly, I'd say you have another issue, but this problem is isolated to just the VSS, PCM, and the wiring between the two.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have already replace the wiring from the VSS to the PCM and the problem is still there the speedometer read 0 and it will not shift out of first

The problem is constant, not intermittent?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The problem is intermittent yesterday I drove it for ten miles it drove fine ,then I turned it off and started back up.then my speedometer stayed at 0,and would not shift out of first .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The pcm I replaced was a refurbished one from carqest.Do you think it could be the refurbished pcm , or do you think it could be a bad vss.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I got back yesterday my check engine light came on and the code that came back was p1336 can this be causing the problem

P1336 means you haven't performed the crankshaft variation relearn procedure, which is necessary when replacing the PCM. It's not causing the problem with the speedometer, though.

That code should have been present since you replaced it, though. There are no other trouble codes? This seems unlikely.

I doubt that two PCM's in a row have exactly the same failure.

I would get this thing in failure mode, then start at it with a good multimeter, or preferably a lab scope, to see if there is a signal being generated by the VSS when the speedo isn't working.