Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Do I have to pay everytime I have a question chat sessions?

Customer Question

Do I have to pay everytime I have a question for future chat sessions?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

It looks like you have signed up for a subscription am I correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A few things: I have been given a 1999 Cadillac Catera with 108K miles that's been sitting idled for 8 years. The owners says it only needed an oil cooler. I've managed to get it finally to removed. While shopping for a replacement, it doesn't appear to have an after market alternative. If the original was the problem in the first place will buying the same part cause the same problems in the future?
2) Removing the thermostat isn't so simple. Its two pieces. Are there any tips on how to separate the thermostat housing from the thermostat housing pipe?
3) what are my main concerns for bringing back to life a car that's been sitting that long?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If the original engine oil cooler is leaking replacing it would correct this here.You run the chance of any after market oil cooler leaking (if one is found for this model) or even the factory leaking after time so they both have the chance to fail as much as the other.Usually the oil cooler will hold up a long time so if you replace it with the factory oil cooler you should at least see around 10 years use or longer on it.Some last forever to.

In order to replace the thermostat the pipe needs removed from the housing.On this model the intake needs removed to do this here.Then you would remove the inlet pipe bolt and pipe.Keep in mind you want to replace the O ring seals on the pipe when reinstalling it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xxii0txhc8wlv38/p-2-29.gif?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tdw5ogfurzwmsh/pi-02-29.gif?dl=0

Main concerns would be fuel in the tank,needs drained and refilled and fuel filter replaced.Check wiring for any damage needing repaired.Battery needs replaced.Oil leaks checked for as well as fuel leaks as seals and gaskets dry out over time and risk leaking.Check for issues with the tires having flat spots as well as they will develop after sitting so long and may need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All of the intakes have been removed and I have access to it. Nothing can be removed unless the intake pipe is separated. I know it needs to be separated but my question is how? Do I untwist it or reinstall that one B bolt back in place then hammer that seem with a screwdriver?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

If the retaining bolt has been removed that holds the pipe in place it is just the seals on the end of it then that is securing it further.Usually you can slightly twist it and wiggle it to break it free to remove it but once it is broke free usually you can wiggle it out.It can be tough as the seals can cause it to stick tight but usually wiggling with a slight twist back and forth will free it up for removal.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is my 4th question of the session. Does this mean I only have one left for the month (5 total) ?
Do I have to pay the same rate again each time?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your on the same question here so technically this is only 1 question.It is when you open a whole new question on a different post that it may count but we are still on the same question here so far.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the oil cooler have a gasket? It doesn't appear to be probably needs some type of seal in my opinion...or maybe not.
I'm not reading a lot of happy joy joy reviews of the Cadillac Catera. After that oil cooler defect issues has been resolved, is the car Ok for a while?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The oil cooler does have seals that need replaced when the oil cooler is replaced as shown here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5omyjyb8d06u75v/cooler-02-29.gif?dl=0

When it is replaced if there are no running or driving issues with the vehicle then you should be o.k. from here to operate the vehicle for a long time unless something else fails or acts up in the future.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It have fitting seals but no rubber seal between the device plate and the engine. Should I use my own rubber sealant there?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

You want to apply a 2mm (.08 inch) bead of RTV silicone to the groove around the engine oil cooler cover in place of the old seal.Make sure the sealing surface is clean.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6b76hofj84ragi4/coooler-02-29.gif?dl=0

Tighten the engine oil cooler cover bolts to 22 foot pounds.Tighten the engine oil cooler inlet and outlet nuts to 15 foot pounds.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question. The engine only had 109K miles. In you your expert opinion. Should I pressure test the old one to see if its good? I'm thinking it could've very well been the seals that were the problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The seals are most common to leak.You can pressure test it to see if it leaks and if it doesnt then it is the seals that were leaking needing replaced.If it does leak then it will need replaced.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I appreciate you help. Wish me luck.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Good luck!