Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a Cadillac 05 sts check light is on when i press the

Customer Question

I have a Cadillac 05 sts check light is on when i press the gas while driving i hear somthing like I'm dragging somthing under car but its not what could this be the noise only comes when i drive off in car
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you tried to rev up the engine and release the throttle when in park or neutral to see if the noise then occurs as well then?

Have you had the fault codes checked/read out at all for this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I put car in park n pressed gas the noise is still there like im dragging something under car but nothing is there i havent checked fault codes i recently got this car 2 months ago and pd cash for it everything was running quite well wen i first got car i did use the wrong gas twice but after that i started using the right gas i had to read book and that told me what gas to use
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

Does this noise sound like a rattle or a grinding noise at all?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 9 months ago.

O.k.,this can be an issue with one of the catalytic converters broken apart internally.This will cause oxygen sensor codes to set turning on the check engine light or catalytic converter efficiency codes to set.

What has to be done from here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.This is done with a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers in your vehicle.A local parts store like auto zone can usually do this for you at no cost.Once this is done the codes are then diagnosed to locate and repair this issue.

The vehicle will have to be jacked up or put on a hoist/lift to listen around for this noise.I would tap on the catalytic converters to see if any rattle internally as if one is found to rattle this would be the one needing replaced.I suspect it is a catalytic converter at fault here needing replaced for this issue here and the codes are most likely related.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete