sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have changed the rack and pinion but can't get the

Customer Question

I have changed the rack and pinion but can't get the intermediate shaft to go back onto the gearbox. It seemed to slide out at an angle but no matter how I like it up doesn't go on
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You may have a few things going on.

It may be as simple as turning the shaft to the correct angle but there may also be a spline issue. There is a dead spline which has to be lined up that you may not have been aware of. Note the area on the rack splines where there is a wider spline, this needs to be matched up to the corresponding wide spline in the intermediate shaft.

The problem may be spline damage. The splines on the replacement rack may have been damaged, or if the intermediate shaft wasn't lined up properly and you attempted to force it on then it would have damaged the splines to some extent on the rack, the shaft or both, which will make it harder to get it to start even when lined up correctly.