Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Whats the sign of a bad ignition in a 2000 cadilac deville

Customer Question

whats the sign of a bad ignition in a 2000 cadilac deville
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought a starter and replace some relays. But whenever I turn the ignition all it does is makes a clicking sound.What could be the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question. Are you saying that the engine will not crank over? Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

OK, no problem. I just got to work I will be home late tonight and will respond with some possible causes and will be able to help walk you through this diagnosis when I get home. Thanks for your patience

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I work 2nd shift 12hours 2pm until 2am.Whenever you get the time text my phone or however you decide
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! Does it click once or multiple times when you turn the key to the CRANK position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
multiple times
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! If it clicks multiple times, this means you have low voltage. Usually this indicates a bad battery or a battery that is low on a charge. If the battery was checked and it is good, then I would suspect a bad connection at or after the battery. The starter most likley just has low voltage or a bad connection.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

If the starter has been replaced, then chances are it just has low voltage. The correct way to diagnose this is to check for battery voltage at the starter with the key in the CRANK position. You will need an assistant to help turn the key while you check voltage at the starter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Basically take the cover off then then the ignition on while I watch for the battery voltage
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

I am talking about down at the starter. YES, check for voltage when the key is in the CRANK position.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It's Amedee from just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

.