Christopher Trevino
Christopher Trevino,
Experience:  Field Service Technician at Crown Lift Trucks
85436572

Car won't start keeps clicking when I get to start it, I was

Customer Question

Hello car won't start keeps clicking when I get to start it
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was driving yesterday parked it went back out to start it and the engine clicks lights go out and just won't turn over
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Cadillac Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 1 year ago.

hello, I saw your question here and I wanted to ask you a couple of questions. It sounds to me like there are two separate symptoms here. First, the engine clicking, is it one single loud click or a multiple machine gun like rapid click? A single click usually points to a starter problem, multiple rapid clicks points to a bad battery, poor battery cable connections , corroded cable ends or high resistance in the battery cables themselves.

Now the issue where the key wont release or the car doesn't turn over in park sometimes, but if it will always start in neutral, tells me there might be something lodged in the gear selector that's not allowing you to fully place it in park. if this is the case, the car shouldn't click or crank at all because the neutral safety switch should only allow the starter to engage in neutral and park positions only. It basically prevents you from starting the car in gear. possibly the shift linkage underneath the car that connects to the transmission (if applicable) requires adjustment as well. I hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.

Thank you

Hello again, I was wondering how everything worked out? If all is well, would you kindly rate my services, if not, please reply so I can further assist you here. thank you so much!