Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Have a 1999 Eldorado. The dash lit up about the battery not

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, I'm Gary. Have a 1999 Eldorado. The dash lit up about the battery not charging and the car shut down. I put a different battery in it and it started up so i drove it home and parked it. The next morning It started up. I drove it about 2 blocks and once again it shut down. I ran obd2 and code p0603 came up. I replaced the alternator and the plug since it was looking pretty bad. Charged the battery over night. The battery started the car and tested at 12.2 V. As the car ran it came down to 11.8 volts in about 2 min. However no dash lights came on. I Shut the engine off and out the obd2 back on. Now it shoes 2 Codes Th p0603 Plus p1638. ALSO the instrument cluster came on and now shows " Generator F Terminal circuit.. Also I tried a NEW Battery which does the same thing. .
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Cadillac Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just told you
JA: Is there anything else the Cadillac Mechanic should be aware of about your Cadillac?
Customer: Other than it's one of a few cars GM should have never built.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Cadillac Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is a very commn problem with the wiring on these, the wires that go from the alternator, go into the main harness, and the grey wire usually breaks where this harness bends to go under the a/c compressor , have you checked these wire?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I haven't.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Is the 26.00 / month plan just for cadillac or any car?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

you can use it for any car, do you have a volt/ohm meter, i can help you see if there is a broken wire somewhere?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I won't have time to work on it till Monday. Will get back to you then .
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 9 months ago.

Let me know,Tim