Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have an after market alarm on my 2003 ext. had someone

Customer Question

Hi I have an after market alarm on my 2003 ext. had someone check out the car yesterday interested in buying it. Told me about an aftermarket alarm for the first time and now it "magically malfunctions". Tried to start my car and alarm started going off. No engine sounds at all. Then pressed the little button on the left side of the dash and car won't make a peep
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 9 months ago.

There are more versions of alarm systems than you can count, it's impossible to know what's wrong with it without knowing exactly the make and model of the alarm, not to mention that the electronics in these aftermarket alarms are of very poor quality, and have a high failure rate.

My best advice, and the advice of most dealer techs, is to have that system removed and have the wiring restored to what it was before that system was installed. Aftermarket alarms cause all sorts of problems and they're unreliable. The factory theft deterrent system on your Cadillac is very effective anyway, much more so than the aftermarket piece that was wired in.

Depending on what kind of system was installed, it will probably cost a couple hundred dollars to have someone remove it the right way and repair the wiring, and if the wiring is too damaged in the column, it may require replacement of the ignition switch/harness.