Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

My wife parked her 2009 cts 4 the other night. Overnight

Customer Question

My wife parked her 2009 cts 4 the other night. Overnight temperatures dropped to 30 below 0, the car has not started since and when I turn key the engine make a whining noise and turns over real slow for a few seconds but will not start
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** sounds like the battery is low, have you tried jump starting it yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try to jump start with same results, I also suspected battery so I replaced with brand new, car gives same response
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

How cold is it now, where the car is parked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's about 38 degrees and it is still in the driveway outside
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, if the battery is new, and its that warm, suspect a starter, does it sill turn over real slow?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
very slow
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, this can be caused by either a bad starter, a bad ground from th battery to the engine, or an internl engine problem, have you checked the ground at the engine block, where the neg battery cable attaches?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked at it, it doesn't look terrible but I could disconnect and clean up a bit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Everything else appears to be working
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

if the ground is good, then it can only be a bad starter, another possibility is the POS battery cable, is corroded inside and not allowing enough amps to turn the starter, this can be checked with an ohm meter, the resistance of the pos battery cable should be real close to zero, if it is, then suspect the starter, like I said, its going to be int he battery cables the connections, or the starter, or an internal problem in the engine, which is unlikely, unlees you did not have enough antifreeze in it, and the block froze and cracked,Tim

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Do you still need help with this?