Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a 1983 deville. It seems to idle ok but does speed up

Customer Question

I have a 1983 deville. It seems to idle ok but does speed up idle some times. It doesnt want to go unless it's full throttle. It misses so bad on acceleration, that it's a hassle to drive
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

With an idle increase on the engine in some cases this can be due to a vacuum leak on the engine needing located and repaired.This can also cause poor running.If you have not checked over the engine for any vacuum leaks this needs done.If any leaks are found they will need repaired to correct this here.In some cases a smoke machine may be needed to inject smoke into the intake to locate any hard to see leaks like intake gaskets leaking needing replaced.

If this has already been done and found to be o.k. I would have the fuel pump tested to see if it is putting out the correct fuel pressure as well as fuel filter checked to see if it is restricted needing replaced.I have seen both of these cause issues similar to this as well here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete