Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

I have an 03 escalade that cranks strong but will not start,

Customer Question

I have an 03 escalade that cranks strong but will not start , replaced fuel pump about a month ago , it was starting to stick when it had sat for a while was nt the ignition or starter , fuel pumped fixed for about a week , then it would stick a little almost like the starter sticking after engine is started , if it was drove it wouldn't do that through out the day , only when it sat. Then in the mornings it would crank for a while before starting. Drove one night , next morning no start , has nt moved since ??
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site!

PLEASE READ THIS FIRST:

If you’re thinking on working on the vehicle yourself, all my knowledge and resources won’t help unless you…

… have basic mechanical knowledge and skills, and…

… have whatever tools and equipment might be needed for a proper diagnosis

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First things we would need to check are fuel pressure, spark and injector pulse as anyone of those would prevent the engine from starting if faulty. Are you able to do those checks?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I could check those , I would need a gauge , is it possible to check fuel pressure with our engine running ?

To check fuel pressure, first connect your pressure tester then crank the engine. The onboard computer will turn on the fuel pump for a couple of seconds, then it will turn it off when the engine doesn't start. That couple of seconds will be enough for our test - by the way, fuel pressure testers are available as loaners from most major auto parts stores.

Please let me know what you find and we'll continue tomorrow.

Best Regards.