Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
13677702

I have small charcoal pellets in the fuel vent system of a

Customer Question

I have small charcoal pellets in the fuel vent system of a escalade esv, where do they come from?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, at rear of vehicle near the fuel tank persay is a black square box, That is the evap charcoal canister, It is filled with charcoal to absorb fuel vapors per say and is link to emission fuel tank and venting wise, You have a bad charcoal canister, here is a picture, there are 2 different locations but BOTh look the same and close to tank, but this pic may not be 100%. It will look like one of the links, Just Google charcoal canister for your year .model etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a new one but when I shake it I don't hear any pellets. Also the dealer tells me I must drop the tank to blow out all the vent lines, is that true? And if I do all this should I put a fuel pump in while the tank is out?
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

well, you are adding more details, new one the charcoal kind of glued together, forget the shaking thing, your canister is bad, Book time is only 1/2 hour so by the layout on yours, it does not say tank needs to be removed, YOu need to get under back and locate, IF? your layout does mean tank down? yes, if you can blow through lines? this would be best, ***** ***** kind of rae for a canister to do this so we dont do this often, Uusually they just fill up and cause rough running and high emissions and check engine light, If you cant get to and have to drop tank? here is link to how to do it,I am saying tank does not need to be dropped, I cant remember all but I have GM repair info in front of me,PUmp? your call, your expense, I cant answer that so,, if you have the funds and tank IS out, sure, pump would/might be a good idea but surely not required, Has nothing to do with canister failure