Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

My new battery goes dead over night ,its a 1993 sisty specil

Customer Question

My new battery goes dead over night ,its a 1993 sisty specil cadillac, I disconnected all inside lights, and othere bubs. and something still rums it down, but not nail dead.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clay a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

A parasitic draw or battery drain is when a circuit doesn't shut down and will run the battery down over night depending on the amount of the draw. From you're description it doesn't look like bulbs are the problem, but something is definitely staying on. This link is a wiki for "How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain". This is not a vehicle specific test, but a general idea of how to perform a parasitic draw test. If you follow through with this wiki, make sure to disconnect the negative battery cable before disconnect and isolate the alternators power wire.

Your vehicle will have to sit with keys out and all doors closed for 35 minutes for the all the system modules to go to sleep. Once everything has powered down the draw should be less than 0.05 amps (50 mA). Knowing how many amps are drawing helps in determining the affected circuit(s), by removing fuses one at a time isolates the circuit, then a circuit diagram is needed to determine the problem in the circuit.

Parasitic draws are difficult to chase down (Hands On) and even more through an internet forum. I can offer an additional service for 5 bucks and continue this conversation over the phone and or through regular email with diagrams and technical information specific to this vehicle. Let me know if you're interested in this offer.

There are several problem circuits that I'm aware of that could provide a solution. Check and see if the draw drops below 50 mA after removing the instrument panel fuse #11 for the power antenna and then instrument panel fuse #12 for the electronic level control height sensor. Fuse #16 is for the interior lamps circuit. The radio itself is also known for problems, you will have to disconnect the radio to isolate it from the circuit.

I hope this information is helpful. Let me know if you're interested in my offer.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.