Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2007 Cadillac DTS - reconnected battery, started car, but

Customer Question

Customer: 2007 Cadillac DTS - reconnected battery, started car, but shifter is locked in park and key is locked in ignition. car will crank but not start.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: brake lights don't work and trunk wont unlock
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Cadillac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
clarification: car started and ran, but wouldn't shift out of park. shut motor off, now it cranks but won't start
Expert:  Jon Scott replied 10 months ago.

Welcome my name is Jon. It sounds like this m ay be your brake light switch. I can help you trouble shoot it you would like.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't think it's that simple. From what I gather so far, it has something to do with GM's "logic lock". Are you a GM tech?

Currently no I have worked for gm in the past, I have access to all GM factory manuals.

If you want to wait for some one else that's ok. Got away from GM their pay is not as good as it should be.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 10 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have access to a scan tool? What is your mechanical ability?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have a obd2 scanner. I'm no mechanic, but i have turned my fair share of wrenches.

What type of scanner? Have you checked for codes?

Can you check for starter inhibit on the scanner?