Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2007 Cadillac DTS - reconnected battery, started car, but

Customer Question

Customer: 2007 Cadillac DTS - reconnected battery, started car, but shifter is locked in park and key is locked in ignition. car will crank but not start.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: brake lights don't work and trunk wont unlock
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Cadillac Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, I can wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
clarification: car started and ran, but wouldn't shift out of park. shut motor off, now it cranks but won't start
Expert:  Jon Scott replied 1 year ago.

Welcome my name is Jon. It sounds like this m ay be your brake light switch. I can help you trouble shoot it you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it's that simple. From what I gather so far, it has something to do with GM's "logic lock". Are you a GM tech?
Expert:  Jon Scott replied 1 year ago.

Currently no I have worked for gm in the past, I have access to all GM factory manuals.

Expert:  Jon Scott replied 1 year ago.

If you want to wait for some one else that's ok. Got away from GM their pay is not as good as it should be.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Do you have access to a scan tool? What is your mechanical ability?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a obd2 scanner. I'm no mechanic, but i have turned my fair share of wrenches.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

What type of scanner? Have you checked for codes?

Can you check for starter inhibit on the scanner?