rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

The service engine light when checked byh a dealer last year

Customer Question

the service engine light when checked byh a dealer last year stated my oxygen senser was bad, i paid big money to them to replace it,two hours later my engine light is on again, i go to auto part shop ,and have them do a check, and it states that the same senser is bad again,i bring it back to the dealer ship,tell them what i did ,and they cheked the senser out and stated that thier was nothing wrong with the senser, and told me that it might be a computor problem,i felt like i was robbed for paying for something that was never bad in the first place, i did not let them look at my car agian a year later my engine lighgt is still on checked light again in auto parts store it still states that the same senser i replaced is still bad, what to do.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

When a code sets like that, it doesn't automatically mean that the part is bad, there is also a circuit to check and the computer too. This needs to be diagnosed why it's setting that same code. I agree that the dealer did you wrong by NOT diagnosing the problem, BUT, the parts store is not helping you either by continually telling you the part is bad. They DO NOT know that for sure. In short, please find a quality shop to actually diagnose this for you or go back to that dealer and tell the service manager what happened.

Thanks, Ron