Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

PO171 came up a while back and I discovered the boot in

Customer Question

PO171 came up a while back and I discovered the boot in front of the throttle body was cracked . Replaced it and the car ran fine. Sometime later, the SES light reappeared but then went off. After it did this several more times, I scanned it and lean burn on bank 1 came up. When the boot was replaced, I used new plenum gaskets so I am ruling out a leak there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm 82 yrs old and I just don't understand these computor cars as well as I did the old carburated motors.
Thanks very much! Charlie
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Charlie. I am Cam.

That code may have been the boot leaking, but I have found its more often a fuel system issue. The code stands for a lean condition which something like a plugged fuel filter will cause.

So with that in mind Charlie, can you replace the fuel filter and re-evaluate the issue? Its under the left side of the car. See the attached picture.