Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My 2002 cadillac escalade ext is not accelerating and the

Customer Question

My 2002 cadillac escalade ext is not accelerating and the stabiltrack light is on
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. I am sorry to hear your having issues.

Can I get your first name?

With your Ext, if you push the Traction disable light, does it accelerate fine?
This sounds like a weak ABS sensor. When it gets weak, it can send a signal that mimics the signal of a tire going a different speed so it makes the traction activate. This will not usually set an ABS light since the sensors is still physically intact and the resistance is to spec, but since it drops off, this is the result. The way to find it is watch the valving on a scan tool and see which are activating. Things like chaffed wiring to the sensor, play in the wheel bearing or rust under the mount of the sensor will cause the sensor to lift out, creating an air gap and causing this issue.
I suggest checking the wheel bearings. Lift the front end and grab the tire at the top and the bottom. Push and pull on the top and bottom of the time and see if you can feel any movement other than the flex of the tire. Also try turning the tire. You may year the noise if the bearing is bad enough. If you find something, replace the wheel bearing assembly.