ggrote1
ggrote1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  26 year GM master tech
19513769

2009 Cadillac Escalade esv6.2, when I'm driving it suddenly

Customer Question

2009 Cadillac Escalade esv*****6.2, when I'm driving it suddenly drops the gear for a few moments then comes on and keeps running, it is doing this every time more often. What is it and can I fix it myself??
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry you are having this problem

do you mean drops a gear as down shifts or the gear you are in acts like neutral then comes back ?

what speed will it do this ?

is or will the check engine light come on ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It acts like neutral then comes back most of the time when it shifts from 1s to 2nd gear sometimes at the beginning of 1st . The check engine doesn't come on.
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

how many miles are on this vehicle ?

has anything been done yet to correct this issue ?

will it do this in 3rd or 4th gear at all ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
149 k . I haven't done anything yet, sometimes on 3rd or 4th it makes a little slip. Before that started doing this it used to like shift down so I decided to change the transmision oil and filter this was like a month and a half ago and this problem started like a week ago
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary do you speak Spanish? My English is too short so I can give you more details
Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

thank you for that information

when these transmissions neutral out so to say it is usually a failing forward sprag one way clutch causing this type of issue or a rare chance of a pump failing

by design these transmission no matter what should not neutral out as by default if anything happens with the shift solenoids or computer or the wiring to the transmission it should always have a gear by default and when yours neutrals out there is a physical failure going on inside and its usually the forward sprag one way clutch not holding causing this issue

the best action to take is to drop the pan and look for any debris of metal or clutch material if any is seen the transmission needs to come out and apart to be inspected and rebuilt

if there is no debris the valve body needs to be inspected and removed and the channel plate cleaned then put back together and see if it still acts up if it does the transmission needs to come out and the forward sprag checked and more than likely replaced and when apart all the clutches inspected

in a nut shell if cleaning the valve body and channel plate does not correct this issue the transmission will need to come out and apart to be repaired i am sorry to say

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer and for FREE you can always get me back through this post any time with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer

Expert:  ggrote1 replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

you can always get me back through this post for FREE with any follow up with this question even after you rate us here as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer