Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
13677702

CARFAX shows that Engine Oil System Flushed & Engine

Customer Question

CARFAX shows that Engine Oil System Flushed & Engine Timing/front cover gasket replaced in July 2015. Owner traded car in December. Could that mean there is a problem with the car? 2011 Cadillac DTS with 53,000 miles.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am Randall, Caddy dealer tech of 11 years. I will honestly say, it is very rare for the timing cover gasket to fail on this engine, Not that it cant happen but we just dont see this ,very rare. The flush has me concerned, Engine flushing at say 50k? hum, sounds like lack of oil changes or basic maintenance, Also, Caddy/GM does NOT endorse engine flushing as could cause further damage to bearings and seals so, the simple answer I am going to give? my .02? I would stay away from the car or if?? you really want it? have a 3rd party shop perform a bumper to bumper inspect and let you know their thoughts,Something just is not adding up from my perspective and one should be cautious as you are doing, Below is direct from a GM TSB( bulletin) to all lGM dealers, I hope all goes ok with you considering the purchase, I would stay away but that is me and not looking at the car

Engine Crankcase Flushing

General Motors Corporation does not endorse or recommend engine crankcase flushing for any of its gasoline engines. Analysis of some of the aftermarket materials used for crankcase flushing indicate incompatibility with GM engine components and the potential for damage to some engine seals and bearings. Damage to engine components resulting from crankcase flushing IS NOT COVERED under the terms of the New Vehicle Warranty.