Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2004 Cadillac Escalade with a 6 L. Oil pressure gauge goes

Customer Question

Hi there. 2004 Cadillac Escalade with a 6 L. Oil pressure gauge goes down when you accelerate and back up when you let off the Excelerator. Now the low oil pressure alarm is going off. Checked The oil level and everything is fine.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

I am sorry to hear about this issue. Can you tell me if you have checked the pressure manually with a pressure gauge?

To skip ahead I have my doubts you have an engine issue, rather I think you have a bad oil pressure sensor and its worth looking at that. IT can be changed with little trouble. It is in a tight spot but you can get it. With a special socket you can get any part store, the sensor is threaded out from the back of the block just behind the intake manifold on the drivers side.

Now if you measure the pressure and its low, then we need to look at the oil pump as your issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey there. My name is***** have not checked it with the manual gauge. I will try replacing the sender this weekend. But do you think it is safe to drive until then?

Toby, That depends on if you hear ANY noise, rattling or anything abnormal when this happens. If you answer no, then I would say based on that its ok, If you do then I am thinking it is not safe to drive.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK. I do not hear anything different than before this issue started. I am going to go have an oil change done tonight and change the sensor tomorrow and will follow up with you then. If that's OK. Thank you

That would be perfect.

Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you rate the site and I will reply.