Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 year as an ASE Tech
7276279

Escalade stalls and won't start while changed throttle body

Customer Question

Escalade stalls and won't start for a while changed throttle body and crank sensor
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for you question,

Has the computer system been scanned to see if there are any fault codes setting?

Was the fuel pressure checked when it would not start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no codes and 55 to 60 psi
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

The fuel pressure looks okay was it check while the no start condition was occurring?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Okay its with in specs, if you have no codes then you need to go back and check and see if you have good spark to the spark plugs as well as injector pulse. Can you check these and tell me which one you are lacking when it will not start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will have to try to get it to repeat the issue it only does it when it is warm, it starts right back up after it sits and cools down I had it in at two different gm dealers neither one could find the problem. If I keep the rpms up and put it in neutral for about a minute I can then let it go back to an idle it then idles for at about 750-800 rpms
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

This sure sounds like a failing fuel pump which is very common on the Escalade thats why its very important to check the pressure when it will not start. It has to be one or the other, spark, injector pulse or fuel pressure.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wouldn't it throw a low fuel rail pressure code then?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

It will in some cases but not always.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I feel it has something to do with sensors because the first time it happened I tried to get it to start with starting fluid and it wouldn't even sputter like it was getting spark
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

You may be right but in most cases if you have a failed sensor and or sensor the computer will pick it up and set a fault code. Since thats not happening then you are going to need to do the basic testing, check for the loss of spark, injector pulse and fuel pressure.